Sunday, April 13, 2014

Failed Goatsucker Expedition (13Apr2014)

It was so beautiful today, after coming home for a few hours I decided to go back out.  This time I figured I would try my luck with some nocturnal species - the Goatsuckers.  Apparently the family was given its name goatsucker because in the Old World it was believed they sucked the milk of goats.  Nightjars is probably a more appropriate name but Goatsucker is more fun.

Although I heard Chuck-Will's-Widows a couple nights ago, I wanted to get a picture.  I also heard that Holly Shelter can also have Whip-poor-wills.  Unfortunately when I got to Holly Shelter, I seemed to have joined a target shooter's convention.  Literally every mile or so was another target shooter blasting away.  I reckoned that if I drive 7-8 miles in I could escape the ruckus but to no avail.  I spoke with the game warden and he said he was sad about it but apparently there is no rules against it.  He said he saw significantly less critters whenever the shooters come.

Not only was it noise pollution, but it seemed evidence of the shooters was everywhere.  Shot up bottles, plastic containers, shell casings and left over targets were everywhere.  It really makes me sad.  I am also alarmed by how many people in North Carolina have handguns.  Hunting with rifles is one thing, not for me but I can tolerate it.  Bows are better.  But handguns are totally unnecessary.

Anyway, needless to say I did not find any Nightjars.


Eastern Kingbird.


Common Yellowthroat.


Eastern Kingbird.

Not so great times.  Tomorrow will be better.


No comments:

Post a Comment