Thursday, April 3, 2014

Corporal Clinger (03Apr2014)

Went to the Battleship first thing this morning to see if the King Rails and other rails would cooperate.

Was very slow at first, but there was some action.  A tree full of Cedar Waxwings.



A Marsh Wren that would not stay still.


Marsh Wren


Then as I was walking back to the car, I saw this rail.


It looked to have some color and the white bars on it's underside were pretty well defined although it does not show well in this picture. Maybe a King?  Not much of a red or buff coloration but darker than most Clappers I see on the coast.

Then Corporal Clinger showed up.  He was extremely loud and he was not shy.  He was certainly the most bold clapper/king I had ever met.


If I saw this bird in a salt marsh I would say it was a Clapper.  Most people that go to the Battleship always report King Rails but all the rails I see here look somewhat suspicious. I think the water is brackish although I have seen River Otters, so not sure.



He was sounding off for a good 20 minutes.  And not a hello is there any ladies out there type of call, he seemed to be yelling at me!







What do you think reader?  Clapper, King or Cling?


Thin as a rail?









Here is a recording of his call, anyone good enough to tell Clapper or King?

In the evening after work I went to Greenfield and got my first of the year Prairie Warbler and Green Heron but no decent pics.


This guy was at least 6 feet long.

Great times.

1 comment:

  1. I listened to the call and my hunch says Clapper Rail...but I'm not an expert! Beautiful photos of the bird

    ReplyDelete