Wednesday, April 2, 2014

April Fool (02Apr2014)

So I think its obvious that we have all been looking forward to Spring and now it is here!  What a great day to be alive!  I woke extra early today and headed to Brunswick County to take a drive down Lee Bucks Rd. before work.  It started really slow with no signs of warbler activity in the usual spots.  There was a group of 5 Cattle Egret in the pastures with the cows.


Cattle Egret - see if you can guess why they are called Cattle Egret.

However, once I crossed over the cleared out areas past the railroad tracks things started to pick up.  Eastern Towhees, Chipping Sparrows, Bluebirds etc...

Then when I got to the swampy area things got really good and I spent a good hour in the middle of a nice mixed flock of Parulas, Yellow-throated Warblers, Yellow-rumps, Chickadees, Titmice and Kinglets.   I am posting multiple photos because....well I miss these little guys.

  Northern Parula


Yellow-throated Warbler


Parula again.



Not sure if he was eating the pollen or the bugs in the pollen.


This Barred Owl was one of several I heard.


Ruby-crowned Kinglet - fueling up for the hike North.


Down at the boat ramp I saw my first Prothonotary Warbler of the year and a tree full of Goldfinches.


Prothonotary Warbler - I will get better pics later, but might as well tally it up for my big year now.


Prothonotary - face obscured but this is the only warbler that has such a rich and clean orange-yellow head and breast with white vent.  The Blue-winged can look similar but has a dark eye line whereas this bird has nothing on face.  Gorgeous bird.

Gobble Gobble.

Can't wait for the weekend.

Great times!

No comments:

Post a Comment