Monday, April 21, 2014

Back to work, wait a Rose Breasted Grosbeak, ok I will be right there! 21Apr2014

After dropping of the boys at school, I went to Airlie for an early morning walk.  It was absolutely a stunning day.  Crisp air and sun for the first time in 2-3 days.  And the birds were loving it.  Nothing exciting but lots of birds and lots of song.  I am finally starting to be able to identify birds by song after 2 years of trying.  I had Parulas, Yellow-rumps, a Blue-headed Vireo and more usual suspects.


Osprey.


Blue Jay - one of those birds we take for granted.  People from other countries probably think they are amazing when they come to visit.


Red-headed Woodpecker.

On my way back to the office to start the workday, Sherry called and told me Bruce had a Rose Breasted Grosbeak at his feeder.  Now Bruce lives down the street so it was an easy diversion.  Unfortunately the bird did not show after a 30 minute wait so off to work I went.

Then about 5 pm Sherry texted me to tell me she was looking at the Grosbeak.  This time I had the boys with me, but luckily Bruce is a super nice guy and did not mind that I brought them over.  After about 20 minutes, Luke shouted "there it is"!  And sure enough it was perched in Bruce's Monkey Pod tree.  I snapped some pics and George shouted "theres another one" and then there was two! I should bring them birding more often.


Rose-breasted Grosbeak - very rare for NC coast.


2 adult males in same tree on NC coast?  Pinch me.

Great times.

No comments:

Post a Comment