Friday, May 1, 2015

Pregame Warmup (01May2015)

Tomorrow I am going up to the mountains for two days of birding my brains out.  I am planning on hitting some spots on the way up and then camping at Elk Knob State Park so I am close to Shady Grove Gardens for the Golden-winged Warbler Field Day.

I had some time before conference calls today so I took a drive to Lee Bucks.


This picture of a Yellow-crowned Night-Heron is actually from a  couple days ago at Airlie.


Horrible photo of a Black-crowned Night-heron but I was sick of waiting for a decent photo.  I will get one later but this one will have to do until then.

Back to Lee Bucks....


The fields had tons of activity today.  I counted over 15 Eastern Kingbirds.


This lone Cattle Egret took off before I could get a decent pic.


Hundreds of swallows and some sitting nicely for me.  Tree Swallow.


Barn Swallows - loved the tail flare despite it being out of focus.


Barn Swallow



Clucker showing his stuff.  Guess what I had for lunch?  Turkey sandwich.


Acadian Flycatcher - I could have sworn I had a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher but I was not quick enough to get a photo so I left it off the list.


Hooded Warbler


Solitary Sandpiper - good bird down here on the coast.


Northern Parula with a worm.  Not sure if he was full or saving this for his honey, but he was holding it in his bill for the 15 min I was there.


Prothonotary


Blue Grosbeak

As I was getting my bagel, I noticed a swallow diving into an exhaust pipe on the outside of the bagel store.


It was a Northern Rough-winged Swallow!  He or she kept going in and out bringing insects for the young.  In fact it could have been two birds for all I know.


The Monk Parakeets are at it again in NorthWest.


I can't wait for tomorrow.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment