Monday, May 25, 2015

Hard to Swallow (25May2015)

I woke up early again today (I am on 4-5 hours of sleep for the past 5 days) and headed down to the Battleship to meet up with my new British friends.  We had several targets including King Rail at the Battleship, Worm-eating Warbler at Lee Buck Rd and finally Mississippi Kite wherever we could find it.

The rails we saw at the Battleship all looked a little gray for my liking although I did see one darker one cross the road.  In the end we were not sure if any definitive King Rails had been seen so we move on.

Lee Buck Rd was quiet.  We completely dipped on all targets except we did get them some displaying Wild Turkey.

I was a little worried at this point that I was not being a good guide, so we headed to Northwest where Mississippi Kites are fairly reliable.  My British friends had already spent a good amount of time looking for them so this was kind if their last ditch effort before they had to hit the road.  As we were driving I saw something out of the corner of my eye and swerved to the side of the road.  Mississippi!!!


This is a digiscoped photo using Phil's scope and my iPhone.  The boys were pleased and we parted ways.  I am looking forward to visiting them in the UK at some point so they can show me a few birds.


Great Cormorant from yesterday's survey at Topsail Beach.  Note the blocky head.


Northern Rough-Winged Swallow - Lee Buck Rd.


Cattle Egret - Governor's Rd.


Loggerhead Shrike - Lock and Dam 1.


Eastern Kingbird

On the way home I drove through Blue Banks Rd to try for Swallow-tailed Kite.


This Turkey Vulture had some tail feathers missing and was doing his best to trick me into thinking he was a swallow tail.

After some driving in circles I found a huge kettle if Missisippi Kites.  Maybe 20-30 of them.  I kept trying to get closer to them by driving some back roads and then......


Swallow-tailed Kite with one Mississippi Kite!


The Swallow-tailed Kite was working a field when a Red-tailed Hawk came out and hassled him.

After following them around for 15 minutes I was able to get closer.


Love a Swallow-tail!


At least two were there although maybe there was more.

I hope this is a good sign.  Last year they were very hard to find at all.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment