Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Retraction of a Retraction - Now I fee like a Booby (16May2015)

At the risk of changing my mind more than a politician, I am retracting my retraction of the previous Brown Booby sighting.  After much scrutiny by several ornithologists, it has been confirmed as a Brown Booby.  There is some discussion on whether it is a full adult or sub-adult but even the initial detractor confirmed Brown Booby after seeing the Jpegs.  Lesson learned, I will take better notes next time I see a potentially rare bird.  I am posting the pics here again although Blogger seems to degrade the image more each time I post it. I have submitted a rare bird report and pictures to the Carolina Bird Club Website.




For me, this is the most definitve of the pics.  The bill is very yellow looking and the delineation of the hood is good.


Another thing I regret, I had some very poor pictures of the bird plunge diving but I deleted them.  Now I see that an angular dive is a diagnostic for Brown Booby.  A gannet dive is more straight up and down.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment