Friday, May 29, 2015

Ammodramus Double-header (28May2015)

The VOA Beargrass site has disappointed me twice before, mostly because of my ineptitude.  This time with the help of some experts (thank you JC and no it's not Jesus Christ) I was able to find my targets.  For those of you that do not know, the Voice of America defunct broadcasting station at Beargrass is now host to one of the only breeding populations of Henslow's Sparrows in North Carolina.  The thing about breeding birds is that during the breeding season they do not skulk in the undergrowth as this species normally does.  Male birds become very bold with the prospect of a little nooky.

Previously I was worried that I would have trouble hearing the Henslow's Sparrow calling because of my poor high frequency hearing.  However, once I made it to the spot I was directed to I heard one loud and clear over the sound of my engine and then for the next thirty minutes I heard several more. Even better than hearing them is seeing them and one of the birds did not disappoint.


Meet Henslow's Sparrow - song is a Tse Lick which is repeated over and over.  This individual let me get very close and was singing the whole time.


Large bill, buffy coloration on breast with streaks and olive coloration over supercilium and back into nape.



Medial crown stripe seen here.

I had a 9am conference call so I began working my way out of the site but kept getting distracted by birds.


Yellow-breasted Chat - this particular individual was singing like crazy.  If you don't like the Chat song, something is wrong with you.


Although I have seen many Chats this year, I have not had any pictures, so I was happy to finally get a few half decent ones.


One of the other members of the group found this roosting Common Nighthawk.


Then the second member of my Ammodramus Double-header appeared.  Grasshopper Sparrow.


Similar in structure to the Henslow's but lighter in color and no streaks on breast.  Also the "jizz" of the bird is different.


For anyone hoping to get access, unfortunately this site is off limits to the public.  However, the really good news is that the State (or County, not sure) has bought the land and will be turning it into a multi-use recreation area but even better I think they plan on maintaining the habitat for the Henslow's by mowing or burning every year.  Probably it will be open for some limited use next year.    If you really want to try for Henslow's, you might have luck by just skulking around the perimeter fence on Cherry Run Rd or Horse Pen Swamp Rd (from memory, might be wrong on exact name).

Now for the Ammodramus group I just need the marsh trifecta (Nelson's, Seaside and Saltmarsh).  How can a man living in Wilmington not have these for the year yet?  Well I just did not make an effort for them until it was too late in the season and they had moved on with the exception of Seaside and I just have not had a good photo opportunity for them yet.   However, I will have no problem with all three in the Fall or early Winter.

Great times.

No comments:

Post a Comment