Monday, May 18, 2015

Clarification on Sulidae sighting (17May2015)

Although I received 4 yes votes for Brown Booby and only one No vote, I went back and compared my photos to photos of Brown Boobies and I found something that had not been pointed out by anyone.  The hood on my bird did not extend all the way to the leading edge of the wing whereas all the Brown Booby photos I can find do extend.  My wife came up with a handy way to remember this, the Booby's hood extends to where the boobies should be.


In my poor photo you can clearly see the hood does not come to leading edge of wing.


In this better photo from the interwebs (Not my photo), you can see hood extends to leading edge.

So I am removing my report of Brown Booby.  Also something I also noticed when researching boobies (sounds creepy), is that Boobies are now in Sulidae not Pelecaniformes which was changed some years ago.  My Sibley App says Pelecaniformes so shame on them.

Yesterday evening I saw an immature gannet again on North Topsail Beach. The looks were horrible so that had nothing to do with my revelation but I thought it was worth mentioning.


Yesterday I saw a Common Tern that posed for me so I could study the differences from the Acrtic Tern from Saturday.  Bill thicker, hood not as extensive, feet longer and most importantly a black tipped bill.


I like this photo because it shows dark outer webs on tail feathers.


A handsome bird none the less.


Back to the daily grind.

However, on Thursday-Friday I am signed up for 2 days of pelagics!!!! I can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. I had a similar experience as you with the brown booby down here in Charleston last weekend. I had one bird flying pretty far off shore but all I had were a pair of binoculars. As I sat there thinking about how I may have missed an opportunity of seeing a booby by not having a scope, I ended up seeing close to ten more similarly colored birds fly by. I'd love to hear that there was a large movement of brown boobies up the coast, but I think it's just more confirmation for us both that the gannets were messing with us.

    ReplyDelete