Sunday, April 12, 2015

Who Needs Starbucks When I got Lee Bucks (12Apr2015)

What a gorgeous day!!! I made it out early to Lee Bucks Rd in Brunswick County and it was slow going at first and in fact the whole trip was quality and not quantity.  I only got two species of warblers but they were good ones.  I also got one surprise bird.


At the first fields there was Savannah Sparrows and this Eastern Kingbird.


Summer Tanager - I made it all the way to the Railroad Xing without any other birds until I heard this beauty singing loud and clear, even for a half deaf guy like me.

Then as I was ogling the Summer Tanager, this guy swooped in over the tree line and I was able to snap a few pics.


Broad-winged Hawk


Here is the nice tail band showing.


I ran into Derb C on Lee Bucks and he said he was going to look for Worm-eating Warblers.  I told him I did not hear any in the usual spots which I already passed.  Then I went on my merry way and took a left on Governor's Rd.  That's when I heard the call of a Worm-eating.......


Worm-eating Warbler - I should have went to get Derb, but I had to start making my way out.

At the black river crossing on Governor's Rd I stopped at the little bridge and was instantly serenaded by this handsome devil.


Prothonotary Warbler


Another warbler I have no trouble hearing, especially when 15 feet away.




The rest of the day was spent working in the yard.  I planted a bunch of veggies and pulled all the weeds from my salvia beds.  Some of the salvias are starting to show some life, but I fear many have succumbed to the cold winter.  My Bottlebrush shrub/tree looks completely dead.  I hope it springs back to life.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment