Thursday, April 16, 2015

Let the Identification Problems Begin (16Apr2015)

What a good time to be alive.  The birds are really moving through now.  Monday evening I went to Ft. Fisher and CB State Park at dark to look for Nightjars.  I did hear a Chuck but it was off in distance.


This clapper was literally walking around my feet.  Never seen one so bold.



Dunlin


Sandwich Tern


Royal Tern and Forster's Tern

Tuesday morning was Airlie Gardens.  Great amounts of migrants to be had.  Unfortunately I was distracted by several work calls.


Painted Bunting


At the time of seeing this bird I had no doubt in my mind that it was a Black-throated Green Warbler. However now I see several problems including lack of olive on nape and back.  The eye arc on bottom of eye is much bigger than I am used to on BTGs but Prairie Warblers are always yellow on flanks.  I am calling this a Black-throated Green but would like to hear any dissension.

Update:  I am changing to Prairie based on Derek and Ryan's feedback. The facial pattern is definitive despite the lack of yellow on flanks/belly. Definitely the most washed out Prairie I have seen female or not.


This empidonax flycatcher was dismissed as an Acadian in my mind at the time, but several problems present with this bird too.  I don't see any eye ring but that could be angle of photo.  The primary projection is relatively long but not necessarily as long as I would expect.  Of course he did not vocalize.


Acadian Flycatcher?


Ahhh so nice to not be confused for a change.  Bluebird.

Work schedule is brutal today, hope I can get out later.......

2 comments:

  1. Your mystery bird is a Prairie Warbler. Looks to be a female.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The painted bunting is superb, and the bluebird only slightly less so.

    ReplyDelete