Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Sunday's Best was not very good and Monday was even worse (26-27Apr2015)

I am getting to the point in the year where adding species is getting tough and will require trips out of my county.

Sunday I did not have the luxury of going somewhere afar because my kids were running a 5K early which by the way my oldest got 2nd place for 14 and under and he is only 9!  The only kid that beat him was 12.

If you click on this link check out photo #14 or 19 of my son crossing with a UNCW college kid in a diaper.  This is the local paper.
http://www.starnewsonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Dato=20150426&Kategori=NEWS&Lopenr=426009998&Ref=PH&pl=1

Luke's time was 21 minutes and change.  Thats essentially a flat 7 minute mile for a 9 year old!

Back to the birds. Or mammals? And reptiles?

Sunday after the race I went to Poplar Grove Plantation.


This big old sow was nursing 15 piglets when I rolled up, and the piglets were huge!! Poor old sow.


One of the piglets, probably 30 pounds.


Purple Martin - I will get better pictures later of this species, but I do like to identify birds from silhouette sometimes.  There were probably close to a hundred various swallows flying the fields at the East side of the preserve.  Mostly Martins, Barn Swallows and Northern Rough-wing.


This guy had requisitioned a Bluebird nest box and was trying to sell me car insurance.


Can you see anything strange about this gorgeous live oak?


A Canada Goose nesting in the tree????  Nothing will ever make sense again.


I am having a really hard time getting a decent pic of a Red-shouldered Hawk this year.  Usually they are very photogenic.  So this photo will have to do for now.  I will post a better one later.


In the Spring even the Yellow-rumps are pretty.


My first American Restart of the year!


Monday evening I took a drive out on the spit to get away from work for a bit.


I checked all 100 or so Black-bellied Plover for a possible American Golden.  No such luck.


I did not mess with the color on these Dowitchers!  What amazing colors.  I did not bother trying to look for a Long-billed and despite the admonishments of some unnamed people I would wager they were all Short-billed.  Of course I obeyed the bird police and put in Dowitcher sp. in eBird.


Semi-palmated Sandpiper in center of frame - I think most of the peeps on the beach this particular day were Semi-palmated. I did see a few Least and maybe a couple Western but there were almost 100 Semi-Palmated if not more.  I put in less on eBird because I stopped counting after a while. Plenty of Dunlin and Semi-palmated Plover too.


Gull-billed Tern - my favorite of the "common" terns around here.


American Oystercatcher

I am drooling over the reports from the piedmont and mountains.  Provided I can wrap up a couple of deliverables (work and personal) by the end of this week, I am planning on going up to the mountains and camping/birding for a couple days.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment