Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Twofer Tuesday (13May2014)

Before work today I headed down to Ft. Fisher to try for a Marbled Godwit on the rocks since it was high tide.  No luck in that department, but on the way back I checked the wires at the Ft. Fisher museum and was rewarded with a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher.  The tail was so long I did a double-take to see if it was a Fork Tailed Flycatcher since I knew Harry Sell would be over the moon with one of those.  However, it was in fact a Scissor-tailed.


From my first vantage which was far away and while I was driving I almost dismissed it as a Mockingbird but it just didn't sit right.  So I pulled over and got a better look at it and I am glad I did.


Scissor-tailed Flycatcher - tail much longer than the one we had last year.  Maybe the same bird and now he is a full adult.


I would have stayed longer to try and get more pics but I had to go to work.  Then around noon Greg called me and altered me that he dipped on the flycatcher but had a White Winged Dove at a private residence!  I hightailed it over there and snapped some quickies before heading back to work.  I would trade lunch for a WW Dove any day.


Don't bother asking me about location on this one, the very nice lady would prefer not to have tons of people coming.  I am just grateful she allowed me to come.



Purple Martin across the street.  Not a new bird but I couldn't resist.

Great times.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful find - a fabulous flycatcher. Glad you got the white-winged dove, too, even if we cannot all swoop down to see it. I promoted your blog on my Wake Audubon Meetup today. There really isn't a blog section, per se, but I sent out an announcement about upcoming trips and I included a promo about this NC Photographic Big Year 2014. Good birding to you! - L Erla Beegle, Raleigh NC - Join us at Wake Audubon Meetup

    ReplyDelete