Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Chucks and Whips (20May2014)

Hello Birders, I went to Governors and Lee Bucks Rd. in Brunswick County at sunset to try for Chucks and Whips.  The first hour was spent driving around and listening.  I heard a couple Chucks in the distance but couldn't get any close to me.  It was getting dark and I knew I could not get a decent picture so I started heading back the long way on the dirt roads.  I ended up seeing tons of Chucks in the road and a couple of them on posts.  The below photo was the only one that even came out recognizable out of many.  Good enough to count it!

I hope to get better pics later.  Maybe I can find one in the daylight. 

I heard one bird that I thought was a Whip but was not sure. 



Great Times.

Jamie.


2 comments:

  1. Love this photo! The challenge of night-time photography. Add to that, the challenge of elusive nocturnal birds...! Next time you are in Raleigh, perhaps you could drive up to Rolesville (about 20 minutes north of 540/Capital) and visit Jeri S's place. She has a Chuck singing in her backyard, or close to it. Perhaps she could scope out the bird for you. Getting the Whip would be harder, as they are not as common in the South as Chucks. If I hear of any "easy/dependable" ones in the Raleigh area, I will let you know! Contact me if you need Jeri's contact info (I am sure you know her). - L Erla B (the one who sent you to the Am Bittern in Raleigh's PR)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Erla, Some of the boys down here and I are planning to go to Green Swamp and bring a remote flash that should get rid of the glare.

    ReplyDelete