Friday, January 23, 2015

What Northern Pygmy Owl? (21Jan2015)

I was looking forward to my work trip to Calgary, Alberta because there are so many birds that are regularly seen up there that would be life birds for me: Boreal Chickadee, Black-billed Magpie, Great Gray Owl, Northern Hawk Owl, Northern Pygmy Owl, Gyr Falcon, Bohemian Waxwing, Northern Shrike and the list goes on and on. Looking at the eBird reports I was drooling.  However, I was not expecting to see more than 4-5 good species knowing that I only had a couple hours window to bird.  When I landed Tuesday night it was pitch black and when I was scheduled to leave Thursday morning it would be pitch black.  Wednesday was my only shot and I had to work most of it.

I managed to get out of my job site around 2:00 pm so I had exactly 3 hours before dark.  I had researched several places in striking distance of Calgary and I ended up choosing Fish Creek Provincial Park because of a couple of Northern Pygmy Owls that were pretty much guaranteed.  Everyone and their mother had seen these owls.  They were reported to be perched next to a public restroom and in plain view every day.  Every day except Wednesday afternoon. I got there and there was about 10 people sitting around with big cameras.  I sidled up to an amiable looking guy and asked him "where are the owls?".  The guy says "You should have been here an hour ago, one was perched right there in that tree".  He pointed to a totally leafless Poplar in perfect light.  ARGHhh.  No problem, I will just wait around and hope for him to come back and try to get some other birds while I waited.  Well I waited and waited and not only did the owl not show up after an hour, but there was no bird life except some very poor looks at distant Black-billed Magpies and Ravens.

So finally I decided to walk around so I could at least find something.  The park was beautiful and everyone I ran into was enjoying the great weather as Calgary rarely gets above freezing this time of year.  After 20 minutes or so I finally found a few birds.

 
Red-breasted Nuthatch


Red-breasted Nuthatch


Black-capped Chickadee - these are so much more bold than our Carolina Chickadees.  A little pishing and they were dive bombing me.

A couple checks back at the Owl Spot and some more wandering and I was fit to be tied.  All I had managed was some bad looks at Black-billed Magpies which were everywhere but were not coming in close.

Some lady I was chatting with said her friend told her the Pygmy Owls sometimes perch in some trees in the next park over which is ten minutes away. So I headed over with only 30 minutes left of light.  It gets dark super early up at that latitude.  Long story short, no owls but I ran into a Poplar full of Bohemian Waxwings as a consolation.


Bohemian Waxwings - bigger than our Cedar Waxwings and they have diagnostic rufous under-tail coverts.




White-breasted Nuthatch


Finally I got back in the car and headed out into some suburban neighborhoods hoping to get closer to a Black-billed Magpie.  I found one sitting on top a pine on someone's lawn.


Then another landed.


It was almost dark so I was surprised the pictures came out ok.

I was a little disappointed that I only saw 2 new species but they were lifers none the less.  Better luck next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment