Monday, January 12, 2015

Rainy Day Old Squaw (12Jan2015)

I tried before and after work today for the Common Eiders that have been seen on and off for the past couple weeks.  Before work was the Coquina Overlook at Fort Fisher.  Plenty of ducks and scoters there but nothing unusual.

After work I went to Masonboro inlet and at first did not see anything in the rain.  However, I was determined.  I continued to scan the whole inlet and jetties and finally came up with some birds!  Not an eider but maybe just as good, two Long-tailed Ducks (Old Squaw).   I did a little research and could not find where the name Old Squaw came from but I see it was changed to Long-tailed Duck for political correctness.  Apparently the word squaw is offensive.



Keep in mind they were really far and it was raining with fading light so decent pics were not going to happen.

Tomorrow is a work trip to San Fran, I am hoping to get some time to bird Golden Gate and maybe get that Rustic Bunting that is hanging out there.

Great times.

No comments:

Post a Comment