Sunday, January 11, 2015

Local Birds 10-11Jan2015

I have been trying to get out birding at least an hour or so every day although I am not sure how long that will last.  Saturday and Sunday I got out for a little local birding.

Ft Fisher on Saturday morning produced the usual birds.  No Common Eider.


Northern Mockingbird.


Eastern Bluebird.  I did not mess with the color palette, these birds really are that blue.


Bluebird getting ready to take off.

Sunday I took a ride out on the spit with my family.


Savannah Sparrow - I think this is an Ipswich but it was not as light as some I have seen.


Semi-palmated Plover - I must have missed high tide by an hour but there still was plenty of shorebirds.


Short-billed Dowitcher - it is rare to get Long-Billed here, although it is possible.  Plenty of Dunlin in this picture but I did not get any decent pics so that will have to wait for the next trip.


Western Sandpiper - There were some Least SP but I did not manage any decent pics.  This Western had a relatively small bill but it had black legs and the only peep around here at this time with black legs is Western.  Semi-palmated SPs are not around or at least really rare.


Royal Tern


Forster's Tern


There was a huge congregation of Double-crested Cormorants on the beach and you could actually smell them.  A very fishy smelling bunch of birds.


The little area near the Aquarium trail has been producing a very bold Sora lately.  Today was no exception.

Great times.

No comments:

Post a Comment