Sunday, January 18, 2015

Three Shrikes and your Out! (17Jan2015)

Took a drive with the family yesterday looking at some properties in Hampstead and on the way I had a really nice shrike on the side of the road that prompted me to stop much to the chagrin of my wife and youngest son.  Luckily Luke (my oldest) was on my side so it was 2 to 2 for stopping and tie break goes to the driver of the car.


Loggerhead Shrike usually don't let me get too close, but this bad boy was sure of himself and knew he could disembowel me if I got too close.



In some angles he almost looked like a Northern Shrike. I wonder how many Northern Shrikes get misidentified down here because the birder just assumed Loggerhead.  However, after much deliberation and consultation with Luke, we went with Loggerhead.  Look at that bill!

Great times.

1 comment: