Thursday, January 29, 2015

Dovekies are so cute (29Jan2015)

After work I made my way back down to Johnny Mercer's Pier in Wrightsville Beach again.  I was still smarting from the fact that I was going to go this morning but an unexpected work call popped up and I missed the Razorbill that Gilbert G (no not Grape) posted.

The same Long-tailed Duck was still hanging out when I got to the pier.


Long-tailed Duck

Also present was a good candidate for Pacific Loon but it was too far to be certain without a scope.


Ruddy Turnstone

Then as I was leaving, just before the sun was completely down, I noticed a small gull acting erratically and then caught a very small diving bird that did not look like the usual grebes. I know Bonaparte's frequently hassle Razorbills for scraps and then I got a better look.  Dovekie!!


Dovekie


Here is the saintly gull that lead me to the Dovekie.  So then I thought to myself, this gull is so small, maybe it is something interesting.  My faulty logic was if a Bonaparte's hassles Razorbills maybe Little Gull's hassle Dovekies.


No such luck, it was a Bonaparte.


My little Dovekie friend was actively diving and checking me out.  It the light was better I could have had amazing pictures.


Dovekie doing his best Batman impersonation.

Great times.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jamie! Your "Groupie" is heading to Wrightsville Beach on Saturday 1/31 with a contingent of three novice birders and one hunter. (He wants to try out birding so why not a 14-hour trip to start?) We plan on hitting Masonboro Inlet first, then Johnnie Mercer's Pier. Meeting at 6:30 am in Raleigh, hope to get to Masonboro by 9:30, then the Pier by 11, I guess. We plan on driving over to Fort Fisher (Rocks) by noon so we can catch at least mid-tide. Then hit the small pond and the Basin trail around the Aquarium to finish off the afternoon (high tide anyway). Maybe we will run in to you! It would be fun to meet you.
    P.S. I hope you get your Eider. Preferably on the same day I get an Eider!
    - L. Erla Beegle, http://www.meetup.com/Wake-Audubon-Meetup

    ReplyDelete