Sunday, March 27, 2016

Working hard for Some Easy Birds (24-27Mar2016)

It's getting harder to find some new birds for the year but I have the advantage of knowing when and where they will show up.  For example, I thought to myself earlier this week "hmmm, I bet there will be a Spotted Sandpiper at CB State Park".  This was based on previous years experience.


Spotted Sandpiper going cuckoo and doing his typical bobbing dance.


Still a couple spots on this one.

I have been seeking a better picture of the resident Lark Sparrow(s) at WB for my Life List blog (Photographicbirdlistomania.blogspot.com).  Sam C's ears helped me to zone in on this singing bird.


Lark Sparrow



This shot will do.

At Airlie the typical warblers were ravenous again and the Parulas were singing.


Northern Parula

Sunday I was back to the Battleship to try and get a peep of the Sora I have been hearing.


Rusty Blackbirds are still hanging and some are still a little rusty.


This Clapper might have a little King in him.  Possible Cling Rail?



Finally I caught sight of the Sora but he/she did not want to cooperate for a decent pic.  So I am using this diagnostic crappy one.


Sora

It was raining all day but I didn't let that stop me so I headed to Lee Buck Rd.


White-eyed Vireos were singing away.  A nice raspy song.


Another bird I have no trouble hearing when they are relatively close - Yellow-throated Warbler.

I checked for some of the breeders like Worm-eating Warbler, Wood Thrush, Prothonotary Warbler and Summer Tanager but they were not in yet and unfortunately Trask has completely razed much of the habitat.

In Southport I visited some of the usual spots including the little pond on Fish Factory.


Common Gallinule


I was looking for a Little Blue Heron but I will take an early Green Heron.



Wood Duck.

That might be it for March....  However April will be good. And May?  My head is spinning just thinking about it.  I have visions of Blue Ridge Mountains, proper gulf stream Pelagics and forests filled with Wood Warblers.  I am going to need a defibrillator.

Not to mention I am heading to San Diego this week for work.  Might get a couple hours of birding here and there.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment