Thursday, March 24, 2016

Spring Fling (22-24Mar2016)

Right about now I am liking global warming.  We have had the most pleasant couple of days here with sunny skies and temps in the 70s.  Needless to say I have made every effort to get out before and after work for some birding.

Down at Fort Fisher rocks and Spit I had some early migrants/breeders.


Nice comparison between Royal (left) and Caspian Tern (right).


Wilson's Plover



Whimbrel



Black-bellied Plover


Killdeer

This morning I went to the Battleship at the crack of dawn to try and sort through some rails.  However, they were not very cooperative.


I am fairly certain this one was a Clapper.  It doesn't really have any King in it that I can see. With King I would expect more red color, darker and more contrasting flanks and streaking on the top and buffier face.


I never had an unobstructed view this morning.

I took a bunch of Common Grackle pictures but deleted them as the light was horrible, and I thought I had better ones taken later in the morning but now that I am looking at the pictures, it looks like the later ones were actually Rusty Blackbirds.  I never thought I would have this problem of having a hard time getting Common Grackle photos and already having banked the Rusty BB photos long ago.  I will make a point of getting a decent Common Grackle photo tomorrow.


Rusty Blackbird male in breeding plumage.

Another first of the year bird was the Northern Rough-winged Swallow.  There were tons feeding the field next to the Battleship and I even noticed a bunch going into holes in the side of the Battleship.  They must be nesting inside the ship.


Ever try photographing a feeding swallow?  Not easy.


Swallow with a Battleship backdrop.


Northern Rough-winged Swallow.

I can't wait for the flood of migrants that are almost here....

Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment