Tuesday, March 29, 2016

A couple more for March (28-29Mar2016)

Well apparently I had a couple more birds to add for March.  The weather has been so amazing I just had to get out before work on Monday-Tuesday.


Rusty Blackbirds still abound at the Battleship.  I was hoping for a better Sora picture but no luck there.


Northern Rough-winged Swallows were actively gathering bedding for the nests in the side of the Battleship.


Red-headed Woodpeckers are a bird that should never be taken for granted.



Even Red-winged Blackbirds are pretty nice birds if you stop to smell the roses.

At Sutton Lake the habitat is being destroyed by the Coal Ash removal operations let alone the pollution itself.  However, the Vesper Sparrow are still hanging out.


Vesper Sparrow - eye-ring is kind of weak on this one but white-edged tail and framed auriculars looked good for Vesper.  I had one with a striking eye-ring but my camera focus was acting up on me.



Common Yellowthroat




Barn Swallow - Ok lame photo but I didn't want to wait on a better one.


Cooper's Hawk - look at those undertail coverts!  Poofy.


Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Back at the beach the winter birds were changing into snazzy breeding plumages.


Common Loon


Normal looking Red-throated Loon


Beefy Red-throated Loon - this guy/girl was so big and beefy that I thought for a minute I had something more interesting.



Least Terns are back!  The folks who set up the breeding area on the South End seem to be late.  No signed of the roped in area yet.


Horned Grebe



Osprey at Airlie


GBH.

Ok now off to San Diego, wish me luck.  I am going to get on a 3 hour Whale-watch tour in the hopes of getting some Murrelets but not expecting much as it will be afternoon and not peak season.  The rest of the time will probably be eaten by work.

1 comment: