Sunday, March 20, 2016

March Doldrums (13-20Mar2016)

March is one of those months that is kind of slow for birding.  Many of the winter birds have left and only a few of the migrants have shown up. Of course it doesn't help that I have been busy with work. Last week I made it to the Croatan with JFuss and gang.  It was fun and we had a few FOY (first of the year) birds but overall it was a little disappointing that we did not have any stand out birds.


Blue-gray Gnatcatchers are back in full force.


Displaying Turkeys at Lee Bucks Rd.

A late afternoon trip to Burnt Mill Creek during George's soccer practice finally got me my Barred Owl pics.  When it rains, it pours.  I had two owls on different city blocks.


This owl was easy to find as it was calling.  It was on the North side of the cemetery.


This one was on the South side of Market.



The Horned Grebes at Wrightsville Beach are starting to look snazzy.


The Razorbills are still hanging around and sometimes are very close.



Now I know why they call them loons.  This wacky guy was taking on a stingray. The Stingray was very alive and thrashing it's tail around.


I couldn't stick around long enough to watch him eat this thing, but I could imagine it was a tricky proposition.


Punk rocker AKA Red-breasted Merganser.



The Ospreys are building nests at Airlie.

Don't despair dear readers, the migrants are starting to come through and soon I will have some nice eye candy for your.

No comments:

Post a Comment