Saturday, October 25, 2014

Sedge Saturday (25Oct2014)

I got up early today so I could get some birding in before the double-header soccer games for the kiddos and the half marathon for the wife.  Where to go when you don't have tons of time?  Fort Fisher of course.  I might as well buy a house down there.

I started out at sunrise at the Rocks at Federal Point.  Lots of birds moving around including hundreds of Yellow-rumps.  I ran in Dave W. and we birded there a bit and then headed to the Basin Trail so he could show me where he had his Sedge Wren.

We had some good activity in the small brush before the long boardwalk including this mystery sparrow.  It had a nice eye-ring, no real streaking that I could see on breast, scaly patterning on nape and back, buffy breast and the weirdest part was that the lores were dark and there was no real eye line.  Usually the dark bits are behind the eye not in front.  I think its a Vesper/Swamp/Field/Lincoln's hybrid.  Whatever it was, it doesn't count for my effort.


However what does count is this Sedge Wren that Dave re-found!!!!!


Buffier and lighter in color than a Marsh.  The cap is not as dark and contrasting as on a Marsh.  Just one of those birds that description is difficult but it just looks different.



I went to CB State Park for Sunset and heard a chorus of Great Horned owls but nothing new to be found.

Great times.

1 comment: