Monday, October 20, 2014

Tons of Birds but nothing New (12-20-Oct-2014)

Hello birders,

Nothing new to report but I figured I would post a couple things so you don't think I am slacking off.

Of course I have made trips to Ft. Fisher as usual.  On the 12th, I went out to the end of the Basin Trail and got good looks and pics of what I think is all three of the salt marsh sparrow species.


Seaside Sparrow - The drabber of the three.


Seaside Sparrow


Nelson's Sparrow - the best field mark which seems to work for me is the contrast between the malar strip color and the breast.  I the Nelson's it should be about the same.  The Saltmarsh has more contrast with the malar being more bright then the breast.  Streaking is also more fine on the Nelson's.


Nelson's Sparrow - the Sibley guide says that the bill color is different with Nelson's being more gray and the Saltmarsh being more yellow.  I can't seem to agree on that so I hope my IDs are not wrong.  Also, Sibley says the Saltmarsh has a longer bill which I also have not noticed.


I think this one is good for Saltmarsh - malar is darker orange than breast and streaks are darker and thicker.

At Carolina Beach State Park, nothing new but some nice birds none the less.


Pileated WP.

Sunday the 19th Shun and I went to Pea Island and Lake Mattamuskeet.


This Marsh Wren was at Bodie Island.  We had a Sedge Wren too but I couldn't get a pic. Same goes for a vocalizing Virginia Rail - no pictures ARRGGGhhhh.

We went to the "New Fields" at Pea Island and combed thousands of ducks for a Eurasian Wigeon but came up empty.  Later we spoke to Carson and James at Mattamuskeet and they said the EUWI was seen from the third viewing platform.  Of course Shun and I only went as far as the second - ARGGHHhhhh.

The best bird of the day came about 3 miles from the Mattamuskeet entrance on route 264.


Scissor-tailed Flycatcher - what a beauty!!

In Mattamuskeet we had lots of good birds including a Lincoln's Sparrow Shun had but I missed.  A common theme that the birds were around but just do not want to be added to my big year for some reason.


Gray Fox (I think thats what its called).


Bald Eagle - what a gorgeous bird.  I can see how some folks misidentify immature Bald Eagles as Golden Eagles.  They have a somewhat golden color especially when seen in the right light which in this case was right before sunset. However the patterning underneath is different and this was a Baldy.

I had a great time with Shun despite not finding any new birds.  I guess it gives me a reason to go back up soon.

Monday back in the office and Ryan J calls me with a Nashville Warbler at the end of the Basin Trail at Ft. Fisher.  As soon as I got of my morning TC I sprinted down there and it seems I was too late.  It was lunch time and their was tons of people hiking the trail with a huge group eating lunch at the very spot Ryan saw the bird.

On my way back to my truck I did find a nice flock of warblers and I thought I had a Nashville in the flock but he flew away before I could get a decent look/photo.  I could have sworn the bird had a full eye ring and yellow throat.  But the problem was there was gray headed Orange-crowned Warblers mixed in and Common Yellow-throats and I started second guessing my first look.


I think this was the bird I first saw that I thought was a Nashville but the picture is poor and I am not counting it.  Also this bird has some streaking on breast which is problematic.  Its possible this is not the bird that I first saw that I thought was a Nashville, there was so many birds moving around I was getting confused when I finally got my camera up.


Orange-crowned Warbler ?  This bird had some traits of a bunch of species.  I think this is a different bird than the one above it.


Orange-crowned Warbler.


The Common Yellowthroats in the flock added more confusion to the mix.

Oh well, maybe tomorrow?

Great times.

No comments:

Post a Comment