Friday, October 24, 2014

Vesper Friday (24Oct2014)

I have been birding Ft. Fisher regularly this week trying to get Sedge Wren pictures and more recently Vesper Sparrow.

The basin trail has been gorgeous at sunset with plenty of Yellow-rumps and Palm Warblers.  The bush at the end of the trail is covered with Monarchs (I think thats what they are).


Anyway long story short the Sedge Wren is around but evading my camera.

Now I thought Vespers had eluded my camera too, but it turns out I got one really bad photo that should qualify.  I had seen at least one or two mixed in with a flock of Song and Savannah Sparrows at the Ft. Fisher Ferry Terminal but every time I got one identified they flew off before I could get my camera up. I did see one with a decent eye ring and a couple with white outer tail feathers.


Vesper Sparrow - over-exposed photo with the sun shining right on his breast but the eye ring was pronounced enough that I think this photo is diagnostic.  Also the auriculars are framed nicely like a Vesper should have.

I saw Harry at the Ferry Terminal and he is looking well.  He said there was nothing good on the spit, just tons of fisherman and no birds.

I am hoping I can get a better photo tomorrow.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment