Monday, November 10, 2014

Lots of Nothing New (26Oct-03Nov2014)

Sorry for not posting these past couple weeks, but there has not been much to post.  I did just come back from a work trip in Lisbon, Portugal so I will post some EU bird pics for you.  However here is a few from before I left.

The last weekend of October, Sherry and I took a drive through Holly Shelter.


Red-cockaded WP

We ran into Carson and James and ended up doing some sweeps through sparrow fields and got what we think was a Henslow's to flush.  Lots of Swamps present too.  At the impoundments we had hundreds of Sparrows with what we were pretty sure was a Le Conte's Sparrow.  Unfortunately these Ammodramus type sparrows were not cooperating for the camera which is pretty typical.


This presumed Pine Warbler had a huge bill.  It was upturned a bit almost like a Nuthatch.  Maybe a Pine Warbler and Brown Nuthatch got bored one day in Holly Shelter and decided to make a Pine Nuthatch.


Pine Siskin were a good find.

Later that week I birded Ft. Fisher and had this skulking Prairie Warbler along with a BayPoll type warbler that will remain unidentified.


Prairie Warbler


Yellow-bellied Sapsucker



On this one you can see where they get the Yellow-bellied name.


Back at the Spit the Sedge Wren was still doing his thing. Hard to imagine I had such a hard time getting a Sedge and now I can't beat them away with a fly swatter.

A trip to the spit with Harry and Greg netted more of the same shorebirds and some good laughs.


Piping Plover.

Last bird outing before Lisbon was a trip to the Holly Shelter Marina trail with Melissa and the kids.

I had a bunch of Swamp Sparrow and one that I thought might be a Lincoln's but I didn't like the back streaking, too thick.


Song Sparrow?

Great times.

No comments:

Post a Comment