Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Pre-rain blitz Wrightsville Beach (05Mar2014)

Knowing that it will be raining and cold next three days I took an early morning jaunt to the South end of Wrightsville Beach to see if I could get an interesting Loon or a Red-necked Grebe.

Just at the tip of the sand spit I lucked into some nice Piping Plover and Semi-palmated Plover.



Nice coloration comparison between the much lighter Piping Plover versus the much darker Semi-palmated Plover.


                       Semi-palmated Plover


                     Piping Plover

There were tons of Loons but almost all seemed like obvious Common Loons.  There was one exception.


Here he/she is stretching. My guess is that this is a transitional plumage Common Loon but inviting any differing opinions.  the lighter band on neck is the giveaway.


This was the only loon I saw that had dark plumage coming in under the chin.



Great times.

No comments:

Post a Comment