Sunday, February 2, 2014

Woodcock and Snipe Extravaganza (01Feb2014)

So the whole time I was in Arizona, I was agonizing because of all the posts regarding strange bird sightings in NC due to the inclement weather.  The most agonizing was all the posts of Woodcocks dancing on suburban lawns all over NC.  I have never seen a Woodcock in broad daylight.


Saturday after this beautiful bird had her morning run (all 3.5 hours of it) I was able to get out and go searching for Woodcocks and other goodies.


First stop was Carolina Beach Lake.  I always stop here as last year we had a Long-Tailed Duck that was allowing great looks. Great Egrets were feeding in the drainage ditches ignoring all the traffic.


Snowy Egrets were in on the action too.


This egret speared this Pinfish and then proceeded to conduct a carefully choreographed ballet designed to get the fish down the right way.


There we go, head first please.  Lots of spines on these.  Hence the name Pinfish. There are many people that have met their fates by choking on a chicken or fish bone.  Well I bet many a bird has met their fate in a similar way.


Snowy Egret - pretty easy to identify when you see their yellow feet.


Mallard - "Don't take me for granted just because I am everywhere." Maybe I will not post this one to my list as it is probably not wild, although who knows.  I will wait to count one that is in the middle of a wildlife refuge to be sure.


Tricolored Heron - "I am so sexy, here is my left profile."


"And here is my right, now off you go you silly papparazzi."

Next stop was Ft. Fisher.  Unfortunately no American Bittern in the usual spot at the pond.  However there was a nice adult male Surf Scoter by the Coquina Overlook.  Unfortunately the shots came out poor.  I will save them in the bank in case I don't get a better one later.

I missed the 12:00 ferry so I birded some more at Federal Point. Met a nice guy named David in town from Houston.  He is trying to get at least 100 birds in each state and province of Canada.


America Pipit - this loner was feeding next to the parking lot.  Flashing his white tail feathers and bobbing like a Spotted Sandpiper.


                                                Dunlin.


                                                       Killdeer.


                                                    Belted Kingfisher.

I told David about all the Woodcock being seen on Oak Island and the Yellow-headed Blackbird on Shepphard Rd in Southport, so he decided to come over on the ferry with me.  I was a little worried that  we would find neither.

Once we got to Sheppard Rd, we joined a group of birders already on the Yellow-headed Blackbird.  Shun Endo, Carson Wood and James (forgot his last name) had the YH BB in their scope. And what a beautiful bird.  Fully developed male which a striking yellow head and bib that could easily be found in the sea of Red-wing Blackbirds, Pipit, Robins and other birds. I tried to get some pics but with the rain starting and the bird moving none of them came out decent.  I have a bad iPhone scoped pic in the bank if needed later in case I don't get a better shot this year.

With the rain starting to come down somewhat hard we retreated to our cars and made the drive to Oak Island with Shun included in the caravan.  We pulled up to SE 68th St. on advice from my friends Danny Thorpe, Greg Massey and Harry Sell.  Immediately we had 3 Woodcock flush up from the ditches in front of the cars and from the adjacent wooded lot.


American Woodcock - I had to photoshop the eye because the flash of my camera made him look like a devil. The light was poor and it was drizzling.  In hindsight, I should have took a movie.  There was about 10 Woodcock in the middle of a suburban lawn all bobbing and doing their funny dance.  One of the coolest moments I have had in a long time.


Wilson's Snipe - These birds were everywhere!  On lawns, in ditches, flying here and there.  Had to be careful because there was so many Woodcock and Snipe you really had to check each one twice.  However they behave totally differently and the Snipe tended to stay closer to the beach with the Woodcock closer to the wooded lots.

There were some Rusty Blackbirds here too, but the shots came out poor.  Some more shots for the "just in case I don't get a better pic vault".

2 comments:

  1. Hurray from Erla! You got your Woodcock AND your Snipe photos! Never mind my previous comment about a good place to find these birds - the comment was posted before today's blog entry came up. (For everyone else, it was Cypress Point, on the west side of Lake Phelps (part of the Pettigrew State Park system... just ignore the yellow tape blocking off the entry, and park along the road. Walk in a few yards and you will probably see Woodcock feeding on the ground a few yards off the trail). Thanks for another enjoyable installment in your NC Big Year (Phoo-Birds) for 2014! - Erla

    ReplyDelete
  2. All beautiful but the best is right at the top!

    ReplyDelete