Thursday, February 13, 2014

Beach Birds Part Deux (13Feb2014)

Went for a surf for the first time in a long time at dawn today since power and internet were out from the ice storm and I was somewhat paralyzed for work.  I was very frustrated as the waves were really good but I was totally out of synch and didn't get any real good rides.  Its hard to surf when every inch of your body is covered in 4mm of rubber.  And the worst part was that birds were all over and I had no binoculars.  I saw Scoters, Red-throated Loons, Common Loons, Bonaparte Gulls and even two Razorbills that came close in.
So after I got out and warmed myself in the car for 20 minutes, I decided to check the South end of Wrightsville to see if any Razorbills were working the inlet like last year.  No luck, but I did get good looks at some more common birds.


Bonaparte's Gull - Easy to ID even from far away just from the behavior.  They dance above the water almost like a Storm Petrel picking small invisible tidbits from the ocean surface. Also to quote my friend Charles Ramsey the leading edge of the wings are white and so they are a - "Dead Giveaway".  Click here if you have not been blessed with Charles' song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6ZHZodoDgY


American Oystercatcher - have to love these birds.


Ruddy Turnstone - not sure if I ever saw one actually turn a stone over, but cool name none the less.


Dunlin - Already had this one in the bag, but this one wanted me to take his picture anyhow.

No comments:

Post a Comment