Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pettigrew, Pea Island and Southern Shores (09Feb2014)

Hello Birders,

Sunday turned out to be a beautiful day.  I left home at 2:30am so I could make it to Pettigrew State Park before light and try for the reported Long-eared Owl.  I was skeptical about hearing it in the predawn hours but I figured I could bird the lake early before the sun would cause glare on the water and the wind would come up.  I knew the previous day's post on the list serv would bring some birders but I was surprised when three birders showed up shortly after I arrived.  We heard and saw many Woodcocks, but unfortunately no owls.
Once it was light enough I headed to the boat ramp and scoped the lake with a nice couple from Greenville, NC.  We got good looks at Common Mergansers, Canvasbacks, Redheads, Hooded Mergansers, gulls (Ring-billed mostly) and thousands of Tundra Swans.  The lake was chock full of birds which was a stark difference from the last time I visited.


Tundra Swans - Most were in the distance, but these ventured close, probably because the sun was to our backs.


The Common Mergansers stayed fairly far off and the light was poor but I managed one diagnostic shot for my big year. White back, neck and breast with strong contrast to black head. Much larger than the nearby Hooded Mergansers.


The young lady next to me said it best "That never gets old".  Great Blue Heron.

I headed over to the Moccasin Overlook trail and got some good birds.  The trail was good for Winter Wren, White-throated Sparrows and woodpeckers.  This stretch of forest has some of the biggest trees in North Carolina.  Lots of giant Bald Cypress, Sweet Gum and other goodies.  Last year I got Red Crossbill in the Sweet Gums.


Upon clearing the trees to the overlook I was rewarded with a group of Canvasback.  This shot was just to give perspective.   There was 5-6 Canvasback working the inside with thousands of Tundra Swan stretching in both directions.


The light was poor, but thankfully Canvasbacks are one duck that are easy to ID even if only in silhouette. Sloped forehead, long tapered bill and dark breast.

Next stop was Beasley Rd for the Canada Geese flock.  They were not there, but I did find them at the Edenton (?) exit off Route 64.  They were very close and I scanned all 300 plus of them but could not find a definitive Cackling.  This was the 4th or 5th time I have spent time doing this.  I think I will no longer waste time with it and wait until a Cackling presents itself to me.  For you non-birders, Cackling Goose is a miniature version of a Canada Goose and fairly rare in these parts.  There is quite a bit of size overlap with the small sub-species of Canada Goose so its necessary to check for a stubby bill and rounded head shape.  It's one of those birds that you really notice when you see them and wonder how you even bothered scrutinizing a small Canada Goose earlier.

So with that dip I was anxious that I could miss my real target which was the Western Tanager being seen in Southern Shores.  I arrived at the residential address just as my new friends from Greenville arrived and we quickly found the feeder in the back of the house.  I quickly picked up a few common birds while waiting for the main event.


                                          Carolina Chickadee


                                                  American Goldfinch


                                                                House Finch


                                               A beautiful couple.


Tada!  Western Tanager - as you can tell by the name, this bird is not expected on the East Coast.  Yellow colored tanager with a faint reddish wash to face which is normal winter plumage.  I have seen these out West, but never this close and with as prolonged looks so it was well worth the drive.  The bird has been eating Black Oil Seeds which I think is fairly strange for a Tanager.  Thanks to the homeowners for opening up their back yard to strangers.


He spent most of his time rooting through the leaf litter like a Thrasher.

At Jockey's Ridge I dipped on the Sow Buntings after an hour walk with almost no birds seen.


I headed to Bodie Island next and picked up three White Pelicans soaring high above. I hope to get better pics later, but this one will help me to get my goal of at least 50 new photographed birds in Feb.


At Bodie Island Lighthouse there was a nice flock of Eastern Meadowlark.  Handsome devils.


The lookout tower did not produce anything different from previous trips, but I managed a few pics to help the year effort.  Here is one of a Tree Swallow swooping for insects.  Note blue-green color of male with white belly.


Another Tree Swallow.  Swallows are pretty much the hardest birds to photograph unless they are sitting on a wire.  At least with the camera I have.


Little Blue Heron - love watching these hunting for fish.  Elegant.


                                                 Green-winged Teal.

On way back I stopped at the Bonner Bridge and was rewarded with great looks at Scoters.


Surf Scoters - white patches on forehead and back of neck.


Here you can see the white patch on back of neck.


White-winged Scoter - this bird had white showing on one side but not the other.  Reminded me that you have to do a thorough check on these birds because sometimes the diagnostic marks are hidden.

Last stop was Pettigrew again in attempt to see the reported Long-eared owl.  I was joined by about 10 other birders.  We waited and waited and after the sun set we finally heard the hoots.  Sounded perfect for a Long-Eared female call per Sibley's.  However, after 15 minutes of listening to calls, a Great-horned Owl swooped down from a large tree in the center of the field and proceeded to throw doubt in all of our minds about the Long-eared.

Ed Corey lead a small group of us to look for Barn Owls and although Ed thinks he heard one, the rest of us dipped on that species.  However, I was really glad to gain some insight on how best to find them.  While we looked for Barn Owls we discussed the Long-Eared and decided that there probably was one out there, and it only stopped calling after the hubbub of the Great-Horned flying across the field and the collective gaps from all us birders.  However, only time will tell if a birder will be able to confirm definitively with a picture.  I for one hope it will be found.

1 comment:

  1. All the pix are great, but I especially liked the little blue heron, and of course the remarkable western tanager.

    ReplyDelete