Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Migration Has Graced Wilmington...finally (12-14Sep2015)

It is generally good to be alive but especially so during migration.  Over the weekend I managed to bird for warblers in the morning for an hour and then go out on the Ft Fisher spit for high tide.  The warblers were slow, so it was nice to find some good birds on the spit.


American Avocet and Black-bellied Plover


Love this new camera, even heavily cropped pictures look ok.


Short-billed Dowitcher


We had over 100 Black Terns working the surf on Saturday.


So much variation in the non-breeding Black Terns.


Semi-palmated Sandpiper


Red Knot with some kind of disease on his right leg.  Sometimes I wonder if tagging can cause such disease.  I did not see leg tags on this bird, but it's leg was all jacked up.


Sharp-shinned Hawk - A Harrier was hasseling him.


Here is the gimpy Red Knot again.


It was fun to bring my boys out for a spin on the spit even if they didn't have the greatest time.  I know I would have loved it when I was their age.  However, this generation of kids has got other things on their mind, like video games and legos. Luke looks like he is pondering something here, and it's probably not a bird.


George managed a smile for me.

By the way, I know winning is not everything, but both my boys scored goals in their respective soccer games on Saturday and both games were blow outs (we won both).  It was the first games of the season and I can't wait to follow the drama.  There is one team in the U12 league that my older son is going to have trouble with because all the kids on the team are 12 and huge compared to the otherwise mixed age teams.  However, I can't wait for that match up as our boys are on fire.


Northern Waterthrush can be found quite easily at the beginning of the basin trail.

On Sunday I did much the same that I did on Saturday except sans children.


Many of the Laughing Gulls are molting their black primaries and their wings can be quite deceivingly white tipped.

This time I had Derb and Harry in the truck and on the way back after an uneventful trip on the spit, Derb nonchalantly said "there is a White-rump".  There was a group of about 30-40 peep and sure enough there was one that was slightly larger and more importantly had a long tapered look.


White-rumped Sandpiper - center of frame.  Wing tips extend past tail. Also see weak markings which run down sides.



A frontal view showing the great markings coming down further than other peeps.

Monday morning will be a day I will remember for a while.  I have had 15 plus warbler days in Texas, but I have never repeated such a performance in NC and I get very frustrated when I see people posting on the listserv that they saw anywhere from 13-20 species of warbler in one day.  In fact I am not sure how many times I have seen more than 10 species in one day but I can probably count it on one hand.  Hanging out with Greg I have heard the stories that can only make me dream.  Back in the old days you could get 15 species of warbler in one tree in Wilmington!

Anyway, let's get started.  As you all know, getting pictures of warblers flitting high up in the trees is not easy so unfortunately I can only share a fraction of what I saw and in fact I missed pictures of some species I have not photographed yet this year which stings.  I hope I get another opportunity.  All the photos below are from Carolina Beach State Park.


Northern Waterthrush - plump little bugger


I am not sure about this one, but I think it is a Yellow-throated Vireo.  I don't like that the wash did not extend further and it doesn't help that he has turned his head away.


Philadelphia Vireo!!!  A good bird.


All yellow below, vireo bill and broken eye arcs.



Blew up this picture for a better look.


Red-headed Woodpecker


Turkey Vulture - yes I think even the vultures were migrating, although these could have been locals.


Yellow-bellied Flycatcher - this bird was right above my head and I immediately thought YB Flycatcher, but now I am starting to worry.  I did hear it vocalize and it matched my playback and Greg M heard it 15 minutes later and confirmed, but I am always uneasy with empids.
Let's analyze this bird a bit.  Full eye ring although it does not seem as bold in the picture as I thought it did when I saw it.  Certainly it is complete which I think eliminates pewee.  Yellowish wash looked much more pronounced than it does in my pic, but it was very dark in the understory and it could be an illusion/ lighting artifact.  However, I think it definitely eliminates the pale unmarked Least Flycatcher.  Primary projection is short to moderate although its tough to see without wings folded.  However, I think this again eliminated Least and Pewee.  So what do we have to eliminate Traillii (Alder and Willow)?  Well Alder would be very rare on coastal plain.  Also Traillii have good contrast between malar and throat which my bird does not have.  So I think I have a good YB here! Happy to hear any dissenters.


Red-eye Vireos were everywhere but I still did not manage a decent pic.

I finally found the aphid covered Hackberry Trees and was treated to great looks of many Cape May Warblers and some other species mixed in.


Cape May Warbler picking off aphids.




There was plenty of immature or female American Redstarts (Yellowstarts)


Yellow-throated Warbler


Ever hear someone say the warblers were dripping from the trees?


Northern Parula



Black-throated Blue

I have many more pics and saw many more birds but I tried to whittle it down.

Some big misses:
1. I am pretty sure I had a Tennessee but the pics were horrible and I am pretty sure I will see one this weekend (Hickory CBC).
2. Had a beautiful Magnolia but missed the picture.
3. Had a Wilson's Warbler yesterday but it was in the bushes and camera autofocus was not liking it.  It was an all yellow warbler and was compact and flicking/swishing it's tail in circles.  I am not adding it to my list because I can't be 100% sure but I have seen these out west and it fit the bill (pardon the pun but the bill was smaller than a Yellow Warbler's).

Great times.

1 comment:

  1. when you were their age (it seems like yesterday) you lived in a place where you could wander freely and safely in a more or less natural setting - a combination of good luck, good management, and easier times. I had the good fortune to grow up even freer and safer. But times change, in good ways and bad. As you say, always good to be alive, but some times more than others (like reading your blog).

    ReplyDelete