Thursday, September 24, 2015

Buff-bellied Hummingbirds are the Bomb! (23Sep2015)

A report of the second Buff-bellied Hummingbird ever reported in NC was too much of an enticement to not go on the chase.  So after wrapping up some stuff for work, I managed to get on the road.  The great thing about my job is I can do 95% of my job while on the move, TCs and emails (have to stop driving for those but I can do them from anywhere).


This pic is from Basin trail the previous day.  Lots of egrets.

Once we got to the Hummingbird stakeout, it did not take long....


This Ruby-throated HB showed first.


Then this bad boy showed up.  Buff-bellied HB - rufous tail, red bill, green gorget and nape and of course, buff belly.


I hate feeder shots, but the most crisp shots were on the feeder.




Based on patchy gorget and breast, I think this is an immature bird. Hard to tell because the species is not especially sexually dimorphic. The male usually has a brighter bill and gorget.


He/she appeared to be molting one or two wing feathers on each side.





Thanks to the Connors for opening up their backyard to strangers!

On the way home, we tried for the Buff-breasted at Ellerbe Creek thinking that would be a NC first to get a Buff-bellied and Buff-breasted on the same day.


There was plenty Pectorals, but no Buff-breasted.


This Pectoral was nicknamed El Gordo.

We left once some hunters started shooting the place up.  It appears they were targeting a flock of BW Teal but the birds were all mixed up so I would not be surprised if they killed some sandpipers.  Also, I don't even think it is duck season, so WTF?   We put bins on the hunters and I don't think they liked that and were glaring at us so we hightailed it out of there.

Great times followed by not so great times.  But without the not so great, the great would have no perspective.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great blog, photos and updates. I'm glad you weren't dissing Bill!!

    ReplyDelete