Sunday, September 6, 2015

Born Again!!! (02-03Sep2105)

Although I don't know if my birding addiction was waning, I can say I was starting to get tired of simply finding the same birds over and over or at least frustrated with not getting new birds.  However now I have something that has helped this Pheonix to rise from the ashes.  I finally have upgraded the old camera set up I was using and now every bird presents a new challenge - to take a good photo with a good camera and lens.  The new set up is my wife's newer Rebel model and a brand spanking new 400mm fixed lens from Canon. What a difference!  However, I am a little disappointed because the photos that looked so crisp on the camera screen have lost a lot of crispness on the computer.  Its probably this poor software and fact that I don't shoot in RAW format.  I will work on that.  The following were some of the subjects of my test run which includes insects and mammals due to lack of birds.


Golden Silk Orb Weaver or "banana spider"


I practiced focusing through trees by trying to capture my resident hummers.



This Turkey Vulture looked 10x more crisp on the camera viewer.



Gulf Fritillary


GBH - very far away so I am definitely happy with the picture quality at a distance.  This photo would have been horrible on my old camera.


Prairie Warbler - I had a ton of warblers at CB State Park the other day but most stayed in the tree tops.


Gulf Fritillary with wings folded.


So cool how differences in how the wings are folded give the same butterfly a new look.


Hooded Warbler


Silver Spotted Skipper


Paco  (Whippet)


Clouded Sulphur


Ruby-throated Hummingbird drinking from a Salvia Guaranitica.


This picture looked incredible on the camera, but transferring to iPhoto then to blogger has destroyed it.


My next post will be good, I just got back from a business trip to California and did my first West Coast pelagic.

Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. New camera is 10 times better - hummingbird shots (feeding at Salvia guaranitica "Black and Blue") are great and you managed to freeze the wings. Looking forward to your next photos.

    ReplyDelete