Saturday, November 29, 2014

Frozen Solid 25-28Nov2014

Before leaving my parents house on Long Island we headed one more time to Avalon.  Nothing special but really an amazing place.  Usually when a billionaire hits critical mass with their money, they must feel some kind of guilt and usually become philanthropists.  Well this is one time I am glad that someone became filthy rich because he really did something special with Avalon.


White-breasted Nuthatch doing his best White-wagtail impersonation.


White-throated Sparrow

After saying our goodbyes, we hopped into the Volvo and began our Pilgrimage to the other parents in Milford, PA.  Not before stopping to see a rarity at Jones Beach though!



Common Ground Dove - he took a while to find since he blended in so well with his surroundings.  Not bad habitat for a ground dove, but not the best time of year for him and a storm was on the way to boot.  I almost wanted to bring him home with us to North Carolina.


Usually these are not found further North than South Carolina.

After spending 4 hours in horrendous traffic we finally made it to our destination and just in time.  Wednesday was spent inside watching the snow come down and playing Monopoly with the family.  After being cooped up all day Wednesday it was good to get out on Thanksgiving and we headed to Warwick, NY for Thanksgiving dinner at my sister in law's house.  However on the way we drove through one of my favorite refuges - Wallkill River NWR.


Rough-legged Hawk - I got good looks with the Binos but unfortunately all the shots I took with my camera was down strokes with the wings and you can't see the best field marks.  It had a whitish tail with a black sub-terminal band, black markings at the base of the legs, whitish wings with black wrist bands much more pronounced than the RT Hawks little "commas".

We got about 5-6 inches total.







Lots of American Pipit.



Not an American Tree Sparrow as I plainly see now, they were abundant but my decent pics were of swamp sparrows.





Another American Tree Sparrow?  - this one had a nicer "stickpin" but turns out this was a Swamp too.  The American Tree Sparrows had wing bars and less streaking on upper breast.  I did see multiple American Tree Sparrows but they did not photograph well.



Northern Harrier - these were everywhere.



Beautiful!  But cold!



This Kestrel  broke up my Horned Lark Party.  I was trying to find a Lapland Longspur but his appearance messed that plan up. Not sure if that is a Horned Lark in his talons but I can only assume.


The "Gray Ghost" - An adult male Harrier.



Horned Lark - hundreds of these.


Can you see my horns?

Great times.  Now back to NC!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment