Sunday, August 3, 2014

Sandpiper Sunday (03Aug2014)

Harry and I took a trip down to the spit today at Ft Fisher and had some good looks at the usual suspects including good numbers of Whimbrel, Marbled Godwit and thousands of peeps.  We tried sifting through them all to find a Stint but no luck.


This breeding plumage Black-bellied Plover was nice to see.

I had some more time to kill so I drove around and checked some flooded ball fields with no luck and headed to the airport in Wilmington for the last hurrah.  I found a group of 5 Upland Sandpipers and so I stood stock still for 25 minutes while they inched closer and closer to the fence.  I was getting mauled by bugs but I managed to hold steady and finally was rewarded with some good shots.








Very cool bird with such a skinny neck.  Pretty cool that the camera was able to get these through the chain link fence.  Unfortunately I could not locate a Buff-breasted SP.

Great times!

No comments:

Post a Comment