Saturday, August 23, 2014

I am so Sora (22-23Aug2014)

Yesterday evening I went to Ft. Fisher after work and birded the first mile or so of the Spit on foot.  There was thousands of shore birds but I couldn't turn up anything rare.


This silly Pelican was just walking around in the middle of the road.

I have signed up for an Ultra marathon in December so I have been trying to get back into running.  However, birding so hard the past 8 months has rendered me a little more plump than I usually am and my knees and joints are not liking the running due to the extra weight.  So even though Saturday was my morning (Melissa is running Sunday), I had sore knees and decided to go birding instead.  Its that easy changing my mind when it comes to birding!!

Periodically I go to the Battleship in Wilmington to try for rails first thing in the morning.  This morning (Saturday) I happened to wake early so I figured I might as well check if the migrating rails are back. After walking the reed line back and forth I flushed this Sora who was obliging but unfortunate the low light made for a horrible picture.


Sora - see yellow legs and short stubby yellow bill. Not an ideal picture but diagnostic and good enough for my photographic big year.


I stopped at Greenfield Lake on the way home to see if the warblers were starting to show up but it was slow.  However, I did get this nice Red-tailed Hawk.


Great Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment