Tuesday, June 24, 2014

reTern to South Pelican Island (24Jun2014)

On Sunday I met John Fussell and friends for some birding at North River Farms.  We had loads of good birds including Dickcissel, Bobwhite, Nighthawks, Chat, Prairie Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, Black-necked Stilt and a Great Horned Owl.  However these are all birds I already have for my photographic big year.


Northern Bobwhite.

So now its Tuesday and although its a work day, at about noon I noticed the wind was somewhat calm and the tide would be low at about 1:30.  So I finished up a few important things and jumped into my truck with the kayak in the bed.  I made it to Ft. Fisher at about 1:30 and although the tide was supposed to be low already I thought I would chance the trip as I have heard the river keeps emptying for an hour after the low.  However by the time I got 100 yards out into the river, the wind picked up and it was slow going and a little scary since I don't have a skirt on my kayak and some of the waves were breaking over the top.  It took quite some time but I finally made it to the island.  I had to beach the kayak because my camera was in the bulkhead but I chose a spot that did not have any chicks so as not to disturb any of the young or nesting birds.  I was really deflated after scanning all the grass and not finding the tern.  So I just moved over about 10 feet along the shore and tried again, scanning every inch.  Bingo!!!!


Sooty Tern - Heavily cropped, I did not want to get too close since he was in the midst of the Royal Tern nest site.  Note fairly wide white forehead.  The Bridled Tern has a more thin forehead.


He never really left the cover of the grass so none of my shots were great.  Also I stayed by the shore line as I did not want to disturb the birds.


Here you can see the very dark back and wings.  Also note the fuzzy Laughing Gull chicks and Royal Tern Chick.


Siamese Twins.



A shot to show perspective. This is using a 300mm at full zoom from the water.


Well I had to get back to work and as luck would have it the wind died and the paddle back was easy as pie.  It helped that I bagged a year bird and life bird at the same time.

Great times.

1 comment:

  1. Hurray! You made my day reading this post. Kudos on getting a really good Life Bird.
    And yes, you clarified over and over how to be "a good birder" (by staying far away, landing away from nest sites, and accepting long-distance, cropped photos). An "ugly birder" would have moved in closer and closer - and made the bird fly so they could see the flight pattern!

    ReplyDelete