Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pewee's Big Adventure (20-21Jun2014)

Yesterday my internet went down so I took the opportunity to go do some birding in the afternoon.  First stop was Airlie Gardens.  Nothing out of the ordinary.


Anhinga.



Next stop was the retention ponds in Marsh Oaks where BB Whistling Ducks have been seen recently.
No luck on the ducks, but I got a Mississippi Kits carrying nesting material.




My final destination was Holly Shelter to get a picture of a Eastern Wood Pewee, but just before I got there it started pouring and thundering.  So instead I decided to try for Kites again at Lock and Dam 1.  As I headed West I gave Greg a call and he told me if I needed a Pewee I should head to a specific spot on Governor's Rd where he knows they breed every year.  So off I went and just as Greg said, the birds were there waiting for me.


Eastern Wood Pewee - have to love their mournful song.





Last stop for the day was to try for a Least Bittern at Fish Factory Rd in Southport. No luck there but I did see an interesting Little Blue Heron in an in between molt.


Little Blue Heron - In between Blue and White phase.  Shame the picture did not come out good.  The light was fading fast.

Today I took my Kayak down to assess the conditions down at Ft. Fisher for a possible outing to the Sooty Tern Island (South Pelican Island) in the middle of the Cape Fear River.  Unfortunately as I feared the wind was too strong and there was white caps.  So as a consolation I took a paddle over to Zeke's Island and explored a bit.  Nothing out of the ordinary.

Tricolored Heron.

Its getting increasingly difficult to get new birds.

I did learn yesterday that I will need to go to Portugal for work in November.  I should have no problem getting some new birds there.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment