Sunday, December 18, 2016

Beantown and Gloucester (13-14Dec2016)

Boston is one of North America's great cities.  Such rich history, great food, interesting accents, world class marathon and the birding is fantastic too.  I was there this week for a work trip and brought my camera just in case I was able to get some time to myself.  On Tuesday my meetings ended just before 3pm.  With only an hour of light left I searched my iPhone for some green space and saw a park called Castle Island on the South side of Boston.  Quickly changing out of my monkey suit and picking up my camera from my hotel room I jumped in a cab and was at Castle Island by 3:25pm.  Castle Island is an old fort overlooking the waterfront and there were waterbirds everywhere.  By 3:45 I was already on a rarity!


Common Goldeneye




Barrow's Goldeneye!!!  Not a mega but also not an everyday bird up there.



Nice comparison between Common on left and Barrow's on right.







Common Eiders - they seems to be munching on whole mussels.


Two males and a female.

Wednesday morning was reserved for a meeting that never materialized so I was free to bird in between some teleconferences and before my afternoon flight.  I knew there were a couple code 4 rarities in Massachusetts so I made chase.  First target was a Pink-footed Goose just about 30-40 minutes North of Boston.  It couldn't have been easier.


Obviously different bird in the Canada flock.


Pink-footed Goose!


It was far out in the field but the light was ideal and allowed me to crop the images relatively close.





My next target was a King Eider recently seen at Crane Island.  No luck on that one but it was a nice beach with some good winter birds.


White-winged Scoter


Snow Buntings in the parking lot which resembled arctic tundra.  They felt right at home.


Snow Bunting





Next target was a Northern Shrike at Eastern Point in Gloucester.  Beautiful spot but another dip. When I asked my brother about Gloucester he mentioned something about a crystal meth epidemic but maybe I just missed that part of town.  It was a really pretty town from my perspective.


American Black Ducks


Red-tailed Hawk


Last stop was at Halibut Point State Park near Rockport.  Another stab at a King Eider failed but again some good birds anyway.


Common Eider - adult male


Common Eider - immature male.


Harlequin Ducks




A great trip and I can't wait until I get another chance to look for King Eider, Northern Shrike and Tufted Duck.

No comments:

Post a Comment