Sunday, October 16, 2016

Oh My God..wit.... (12-16Oct2016)

Oh My God..wit.... What a great run of birding lately.

The warbler actions continued at Burnt Mill Creek and Greenfield Lake on Wednesday.


Magnolia Warbler at Greenfield Lake Amphitheater - I really enjoyed birding with Greg this week and hope he gets out again soon.  I also birded with Dave for a bit before we both had to get to work.




When is the last time you saw 4 Parulas in one photo?  Probably not ever.


Three Parulas walk onto a bar....


Golden-crowned Kinglets are widely known to gave the most cute feet of the bird world.


Black-throated Blue


Cloudless Sulphur?

Thursday I had all day business in Raleigh but Friday morning I managed to get a couple hours in at Mason Farm in Chapel Hill.  I love that place.  Sparrows were back in full force.


Field Sparrow and White-throated Sparrow


Swamp Sparrow


Gray-cheeked Thrush eating a berry.




Saturday before George's soccer game at the Y, we stopped at Burnt Mill for 30 minutes.


American Redstart





Hmmm.... Another Yellow-bellied Flycatcher?


Very interesting...

Sam C called me during the game and reported a Clay-colored and White-crowned Sparrow at the Ft Fisher Ferry parking lot.  I was not terribly confident since I had to finish the game and get breakfast with the family first, but then the boys and I headed down for a quick check.


The wild flower field was chock full of birds, mostly Common Yellowthroats and Palm Warblers but this Prairie Warbler was obliging.



Savannah Sparrow


White-crowned Sparrow!!


A year bird!




Sleepy Orange?


Top side of Sleepy Orange?


American Lady


Savannah Sparrow


Clay-colored Sparrow!!



Sunday was round 2 with a certain godwit stopping by from across the pond.  I joined John F, Jack F (no relation), Marty W and Martha for an awesome day on Shackleford Banks.


The first group of birds just North of the ferry landing was thoroughly combed through.... no luck.


Marbled Godwit


Oystercatcher with bands - C-18 for anyone who cares.


Out on the beach I spotted a bird that was about the same size as the Willets but it's back was not smooth gray like the rest of the Willets. See center of frame.


As soon as it untucked I knew it was the Bar-tailed.


Bar-tailed - even if we never saw the tail or underwings this bird was obviously not a Marbled and it had notably short legs which is a field mark for Bar-tailed.  Hudsonian and Black-tailed would not be so short legged.




The tail kind of looked worrisome here for a solid black sub-terminal band.


But alas, a barred tail in all it's glory.


No doubt about it and look at those short legs compared to the Marbled.


Soon a boat came by and scared our bird which was a shame.


I looked for a flight shot but could not find the bird in the group.


Two Yellow-crowned Night-herons.  

We also had an American Golden but I was too busy with the Bar-tailed to take pictures.

Great times.


No comments:

Post a Comment