Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Business Birder (03-05Oct2016)

I have been all over the place the past few days and the crazy thing is I have been working the whole time, taking conference calls while looking for birds or while driving (don't worry I have Bluetooth).  Normally I wouldn't go to such an extent during a work week, but rarities like a Bar-tailed Godwit and Connecticut Warbler are hard to come by.

Monday morning at 5am I headed to Harker's Island to get the first ferry to Shackleford Banks.  I started out by birding Willow Pond while waiting for the boat.  I had more warbler action in 20 minutes than I have had all the previous week in Wilmington, but the light was horrible and only managed a few poor pictures.


Cape May Warbler

Swainson's Thrush - it's amazing to think last year I had troubles getting a Swainson's and this year I have seen 20-30.


This Eastern Wood Pewee had me thinking Olive-sided for a few moments.



Another Cape May

On the ferry over to Shack I saw a large congregation of shorebirds on a marsh island about 150 yards from the ferry landing but the tide was maxed high and I could not get close, so I hoped my Bar-tailed Godwit was somewhere else more accessible.  The spot where John F had it the day before was devoid of birds.  I headed to the South end of the island where shorebirds frequently gather and gathered they were.  However, after about 5 minutes of scanning a couple Peregrines scattered all the birds and they did not return.


Peregrine Falcon



With options exhausted I headed back to the marsh island and got as close as I could by wading across a small channel.


Large flocks of godwits and other birds.  I did get a look at a smaller looking gray bird in amongst the godwits with my scope and when he untucked I saw the distinct godwit bill.  However, I never got a look at the underwing or tail pattern before it shuffled back into the group and I lost it.  Very frustrating but the birds looked to be staying and I didn't have the time or patience to wait for something to happen.

I had a couple TCs for work so my time was up and I prepared to leave, and that is when I ran into this fellow....


Reddish Egret




Not a bad consolation prize.

On the way out we (me and another birder) managed to convince the captain to get a little closer to the group of birds but it was a bit nerve wracking with 20 passengers waiting for us.  So I snapped a bunch of pictures and scanned quickly with binocs... Long story short, no definite picture of the Bar-tailed.  I will have to go back...


You have heard of a Gaggle of Geese, or a Murder of Crows but have you heard of a Crapload of Godwits?  It's a real thing.


But my work was not over.. A Western Kingbird was reported at Fort Fisher so in the evening I made it back in time to find him still hawking insects from the fence.


Western Kingbird



Tuesday morning before work was spent at Burnt Mill Creek in downtown Wilmington.  I hit the jackpot and had my first real migration event in Wilmington for the Fall season. The light was horrible, but I managed a few decent record shots.


Magnolia Warbler


Northern Parula


Yellow-billed Cuckoo


My 4th Nashville of the year although none of them are decent photos.


I think this was a Least Flycatcher


Ok so I need help on this one.  First thought was Scarlet Tanager, but then I noticed a weird white feather where any wing-bar should be.  Also, look at her bill, its orange right?


Here is the weird white feather sticking out at a weird angle.  Also note the darker "saddle" above the rump when a gray tint.


Could this be a Western Tanager?


Bye bye Ms Tanager, until next time.


Another challenging empid.  In this picture it looks like an Acadian with sharp contrast between malar and throat.


On this one it seems to exhibit some Yellow-bellied Flycatcher traits like short narrow tail and moderate primary projection.



This is the same bird in different light.  Look at that yellow belly!


Again same bird.  Worrisome that the throat is more white than belly.  Most likely an Acadian.




Golden-winged Warbler!!! A rare bird in Wilmington.





Cape May


Yellow-throated Warbler



Not bad for Wilmington!

Today I woke up at 4am again and headed to Raleigh for a little Connecticut Warbler action.


This creek in Shenck Forest was chock full of Yellow-billed Cuckoos.


No idea what species but I thought it was a cool picture.  This is what happens when you have your ISO cranked up for a Connecticut Warbler in the understory and shoot something you notice above you.

Jan H and Rob R (local birders in the triangle) were there and called me over when they found the Connecticut but this damn duo of Philadelphia Vireos kept trying to distract me.  Not a bad problem to have.


Philadelphia Vireo

Finally the Connecticut stayed put in one spot and just sat there allowing me to try optimizing my settings to get a serviceable picture in the poor light.


Connecticut Warbler - presumed first year bird.


He/she sat in this position for a good 5 minutes barely moving.


What does a Connecticut Warbler do when 5 birders are staring at it?  Curls into the fetal position and plays dead of course.  Actually he/she was cleaning his/her feet.

On the way out of Shenck I had a Black-bellied Plover x Buff-breasted Sandpiper Hybrid in an adjacent field.


Just kidding of course, its just a weird looking Black-bellied Plover.

What a good several days of birding.  What's next?  Flamingos?

No comments:

Post a Comment