Thursday, September 1, 2016

The Common, the Buffy and the Nasty (29Aug-01Sep2016)

Common Terns are not really that common, but we are seeing more and more on the beaches now in migration.  The following sequence is from the Fort Fisher Spit.


The one in the center had an awfully dark bill and had me hoping for Roseate Tern.


However, I soon came to terms with this being a light artifact.  In the above picture the dark bill switched to the back bird when he turned his head.


Everything else about these birds pointed to Common Tern including the gray bellies, extensive black on primaries and some had dark carpal bars.


Usually if you see a full dark cap and dark bill this time of year you should check for Roseate.  The tail on this one was also too short.



The one on the left was banded which of course also made me think Roseate, but even Common Terns are banded.


In better light, the red on the bills was showing more.


Here you can really see the gray on the body and the black on the primaries.



Caspian Tern


Red Knots



Then today on the spit I finally found one of my nagging targets.


Buff-breasted Sandpiper - and a beauty too!


I took about 6 trillion photos so count yourself lucky that I am only posting about 10.


The detail on these birds is mind blowing.  Look at those spots!


How about those black head feathers....




What an awesome find and a particularly obliging bird.

Now that the pressure was off, I was able to study up on my Peeps.


Looking at the bill alone I would have called this a Semi-palmated Sandpiper, as it is shorter and thicker at the base.  However, the feathers recall more of a Western. Western SPs have black or dark "anchors" to the feathers.  Also they have rufous on scapulars which is somewhat limited on this bird.   Any feedback is appreciated.


Least SPs are usually an easy call due to yellowish legs although it can be tough if the light is bad or the bird has mud on it's legs.  In this case it was a fairly easy call.  Least SPs also are generally more colorful all over.


This one looks more like a Semi to me even though the bill droops a bit like a Western.  The feathers lack the dark anchors.


This one is clearly a Western with a nice long drooping bill and rufous scapulars.


Least SP


Western SP


Western


Carolina Saddlebags!! Common but new for me.  Don't worry folks, I will stick with birds for the most part.



More variation in these Least SPs...


And even more....

Then this nasty beast flew in and scared the crap out of a gaggle of White Ibis.


Cooper's Hawk


This bad boy (or more likely bad girl seeing it was so huge) was so big and nasty that I thought just maybe Goshawk in the back of my brain.  However, the logical section of my brain prevailed.

I sent this old photo from 2014 to a guy looking for King Rail photos for a billboard at Mackay Island.  However, it was taken with my old camera set up and resolution is probably too poor.  However, wouldn't that be awesome if they used it?


Here's hoping for some storm birds this weekend from Hermine.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment