Friday, September 16, 2016

Franklin's Gull - 15Sep2016

A walk on the beach for sunset is almost always nice, but it's twice as nice when a Franklin's Gull is hanging out.  It did not take long to notice this odd looking bird.  He was even facing the wrong way.


Franklin's Gull among a huge flock of Gulls and Terns hunkered down into the NE wind.



Here you can really see the size difference with the Laughing Gulls and specifically the more dainty bill.


Plenty of other distractions including this tasty Sandwich Tern.


Royal Tern - Hail Caesar!


Is it me or is a Franklin's cute?  Maybe it's the molting primaries that make it look dump and alcid like.



Yeah I know, I took too many pictures.



The mighty bellow of a Franklin's Gull has been known to knock a full grown man backwards.





Nice bill comparison.




He/she never flew off while I was there.  I got real close by moving only an inch a minute then backed away the same way.


Hmmm, wings on this Common Tern looked a little white to me.


Try as I might, I think it's a Common Tern and not something more interesting.

I love living at the beach...

No comments:

Post a Comment