Monday, July 4, 2016

It's Raining Least Bitterns (03Jul2016)

Yesterday I experienced one of those amazing moments that can only be fully appreciated after getting sub par looks at a species for a number of years and then finally getting amazing extended looks.  It was raining Least Bitterns at Cedar Island Marsh yesterday.  But first a couple photos from a couple nights ago.

I went back out to CB State Park to try once again for a photo of a Chuck but we failed miserably and my friend and I got a bit lost trail blazing in the dark following Chuck calls.  We barely made it out of the gate before park closure.  That would have sucked if we got locked in and had to sleep in our cars until opening in the morning.


Common Nighthawk

Saturday morning I got up at 1:30 am and headed to Cedar Island to try for a Barn Owl and Black Rails.  I dipped on both but my consolation was maybe even better.  Over about two hours at Cedar Island after sun rise, I saw over 30 Least Bitterns!!!  This is a bird I have only seen a few times before and very poorly.  In some spots I saw 5-6 birds perched in a small area.



There were other birds to be had too, although it was difficult to stop looking at the Least Bitterns.


Virginia Rail - the breast was not as richly red as I would have liked but all the other marks were present.



Presumed juvenile Clapper.  Looked like a plucked chicken.


There was plenty of young birds.  Soon these birds will start dispersing so if you want to see them I suggest going soon.





Seaside Sparrows were everywhere.





A Northern Harrier was getting hassled by hundreds of blackbirds.  We find a couple Harriers over-summering here every year for the past several.


Presumed Clapper


These young birds were really cool looking.



A Common Loon in the drainage canal was a somewhat unexpected sight.



Hmmmm,  Juvenile Clapper?





What legs!




Doing an American Bittern impression.

Down at Cedar Island Ferry Terminal we had the usual mix of birds and one somewhat interesting sighting.


Gull-billed Tern


Glossy Ibis


Here was the interesting find - Yellow-crowned Night-Heron.  A juvenile bird.


Today I drove around locally to see if the Reddish Egret or White-winged Dove were around.  The traffic was bad and there was already no parking at WB at 8am so instead I headed to Airlie for a quick walk.


Tricolored Heron


Another Yellow-crowned Night-Heron??? What is this world coming to?    When it rains it pours.

Have a great 4th!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jamie. Just wanted to thank you for writing your blog in general, and this post in particular. Least Bitterns have been on my most wanted list for a long while now and we chased these down this weekend and saw at least five of them! Wouldn't have got them without it.

    ReplyDelete