Saturday, June 25, 2016

Miami and Surrounding Areas (23-24Jun2016)

A quick work trip to Miami allowed me a couple hours over two days to search for some South Florida specialties.  It was brutally hot and humid but I made the most of it. Upon landing in Miami I quickly headed 10 minutes North of the airport in a neighborhood called Miami Springs which is known for some of the South Florida exotic species including my primary target the Spot-breasted Oriole.


I believe these were Mitred Parakeets but many of these exotics are interbreeding and getting difficult to ID.



No luck on the Orioles and it was too damn hot so I moved on.

Next stop was Markham Park which is famous for several rarities although none of them are currently being seen. The park is huge and has a shooting range, some ponds, campgrounds and even a model airplane field.  There were probably about 4-5 guys flying their model airplanes over this field and then I noticed the field was chock full of Burrowing Owls.  I was not expecting that.



Back by the campground were some Monk Parakeets.






Last stop for the evening for sunset was Loxahatchee NWR.  This is a beautiful spot at the edge of the everglades.  My quarry was the Smooth-billed Anis that have been seen here over the past couple months.


Limpkin




Finally just before sunset, I found the bugger.  I had him very close but he was skittish and flew across a canal before I could get a decent pic.


Smooth-billed Ani



My ISO was cranked up when this Roseate Spoonbill flew by.


The one thing I do miss about Florida is the sunsets.

Friday was a work day but I managed to head over to Miami Springs again because I had about 45 minutes before I had to be at the airport.


Muscovy Duck - these feral birds are actually countable.  This particular pair was getting nasty.



Then just as I was about to pack it in, I was blessed with this pair of lovelies.



Spot-breasted Oriole - I snapped over 100 photos and tries to boil them down to a handful.  Hard to do when you get some cooperative lifers.













Goodbye by Southern Florida friends.  I hope to see you again under cooler conditions.

1 comment:

  1. Hope you made your flight - but the oriole was spectacular.

    ReplyDelete