Friday, April 8, 2016

Pre-mountain Distractions (03-08Apr2016)

I have really been itching to get up to the mountains but in the mean time I have been able to get in some new local birds for my year effort.


I was fairly certain when I saw this bird hanging out with a Dunlin that it was a Semi-palmated Sandpiper based on the relatively short bill, thick base and lack of droop.  Later I second guessed myself, and now I am back to Semi-palmated.  Western vs Semi is a very hard ID.  Both can have rufous tones and there is overlap in bill size.


Dunlin and Short-billed Dowitcher.

Early in the week I saw a report of 2 Yellow-crowned Night-Herons at Burnt Mill Creek.  I went the next afternoon and dipped but was persistent and tried early the third morning and scored.


Probably the best looked I have had in NC for this species.



I couldn't help myself and snapped a hundred or so frames.



On the beach not much was happening in the middle of the week but it was nice to see some birds turning colors and getting their breeding plumages on.


Willet

Thursday evening after supper, I commandeered Luke as a spotlighted and headed to CB State Park to try for Goat Suckers.  I promised him some donuts from the relatively new Wake and Bake Donut shop if I was successful with photos.


Yellow-throated Warbler with the ISO cranked up right before dark.

The Goat Suckers did not make a showing but I tried a toot of a Screech Owl recording and was promptly dive bombed by this young bird.


Eastern Screech Owl.  Luke did a good job with the spotlight.


Unfortunately the donut shop was closed so I promised to go back and get donuts on Friday.

Friday I took a half day from work and went first light to Lee Buck Rd.  No new warbler migrants yet but I did manage one new bird for the year.


An egret next to cattle, must be a Cattle Egret.


Its too bad the light was so poor, this bird was asking to be crushed.



I only had 30 minutes on Lee Buck Rd because I had an appointment with Captain Harry in Southport.  Harry brought me to his honey hole to show me some nice birds that have been hanging out for a couple weeks.

It was raining and cloudy so the photo ops were horrible, but I will take what I can get.


Glossy Ibis - I blew up some of my photos and lightened them up to check for red facial skin but this was definitely a Glossy, not a White-faced.



The impoundment also held about 30 BW Teal.


A Black-necked Stilt was a nice addition for this part of North Carolina.


There was plenty of Yellowlegs and Dowitchers.  This photo has a Greater Yellowlegs on left, probably Long-billed Dowitcher in middle and Lesser Yellowlegs on right.


Horrible photo but nicely shows size difference between Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs.


After a nice ferry ride over to Ft. Fisher chatting with Harry on the way, we found a nice Sandwich Tern at the Federal Rocks.


We had thousands of shorebirds on the Spit but the variety was not good.  All Dunlin, Dowitchers, Whimbrels and Peeps.  Above is Dunlin with one Peep that we decided was a Western Sandpiper.  Note the longer bill slightly drooping at the end.

I was asking the birding gods for some Gull-billed Terns and voila!


Gull-billed Tern


A Red Knot looking a little ratty for a bird getting ready for breeding.


Probably a Western Sandpiper, although it could be a Semi.


The Dowitcher in the middle was so red and the color extended all the way down the belly.  We thought it probably was a Long-billed Dowitcher.



Dowitcher doing a Spoon-billed Sandpiper impersonation.

What to do this weekend?  Perhaps Howell Woods for some warblers?  I am drooling just thinking about it.

I picked up a half dozen Wake and Bake donuts on the way home and I can confirm they are delicious.

1 comment:

  1. Very jealous of your shorebird encounters. Going to have to get down to your neck of the woods soon. We have been planning an excursion to Howell Woods for weeks and are finally going tomorrow! Maybe we will cross paths.

    ReplyDelete