Tuesday, April 12, 2016

4 for 4 and Then Some.. (10-11Apr2016)

Yesterday was a magical day.  Everything went according to plan in terms of targets and I had some nice surprises as well.  My primary target was the Western Grebe reported near Lake Norman and since it was such a long drive I planned a couple things on the way back.  I knew from the home owner that my chances of seeing the bird from her dock were much better early in the morning or late in evening.  I chose morning and so I had to leave home at 3am in order to get there a little after 7am.  Now I have Western Grebes from trips out West, but there is nothing like seeing a new state bird which this bird was.  When I got to the dock, the bird was not anywhere that stuck out without binocs but I scanned everywhere for 15 minutes and finally picked the bird out.


Western Grebe!  This was heavily cropped but he or she came closer and closer.  He/she never swam in front of the dock so eventually I got frustrated and decided to investigate the Golf Course across the cove.


Unbelievably I have not photographed Common Grackle yet this year and this photo is poor quality but it has been nagging me so I am adding this to the list now.


Unfortunately the water glare was worse on the other side but the bird was much closer.




I lightened this one up so you can see the black feathers completely surrounds the eye which is why this is a Western and not a Clarke's Grebe.

Next target was a Lincoln's Sparrow at Renaissance Park Golf Course.   It had only been seen once in the past month so I was expecting to dip.  However, after a quick playback I got an immediate response from a Lincoln's Sparrow with the exact song that was on my Sibley's for NY Lincoln's.  In fact it was so loud and clear that I thought my tape had two birds singing at the same time. I was starting to freak out when I could not pin down the location of the bird knowing that usually playback will only elicit an initial response and then the bird quickly becomes wise.  That is exactly what happened with this particular bird, he went silent and never came out of his hiding spot.  Oh well, I was happy with the Grebe and so I just spent some time birding for whatever.  There were tons of birds singing and enjoying a brief sunny spell in an otherwise dreary morning.  That's when a nice sized sparrow popped out and I managed to snap a few frames.


Lincoln's Sparrow!!  Gray supercilium and buffy/streaky breast and flanks.  I will have to get a better picture for my life list, but this one will do for my year list.


One of the many Field Sparrows singing away.  This is a song I have no trouble hearing.



Third target - Solitary Sandpiper.  There were many reports in the Charlotte Area but one was very close to Renaissance Park and also on the way home - Lietner Blvd Wetlands next to the Holiday Inn.


I continued my streak and easily located two Solitary Sandpipers.



This American Bittern was just icing on the cake as I already had one for the year.


I could watch a Bittern for hours.  He was doing his crazy tango and creeping along the weeds at a slow pace.


At one point a raptor flew overhead and he did his cryptic pose which is ridiculous since there were no reeds around him.

Target #4 was Cliff Swallows.  There was plenty of reports near Charlotte, but the nicest one was a report of nesting birds half way home at Blewett's Falls. What a cool place that was!  I am already planning a return trip.


The cool thing about this spot is how close you can get to the nests.


That's alot of spit and mud!




I took tons of photos and now I realize I should have fixed the ISO settings some more.  Many came out fuzzy.



I was surprised to see a flock of breeding plumaged Bonaparte's Gulls but apparently it is not a big deal as they did not flag in eBird.


A singing Yellow-throated Vireo was a really nice bonus.



Finally since I was coming home on the 74, I decided to stop at the Oakland Plantation Sod Farms.  It was kind of devoid of birds which is fairly standard for this location.  Every time I go I regret it.  However, on my way out I scanned one final field and Bingo!


Upland Sandpiper!!!  I have never had one in the Spring before so I was not expecting this.


It would be easy to mistake this for a dove at long distance, but what seals the ID is the funny way they undulate when they walk.


The workers were driving by constantly but he seemed unfazed.


One more stop at Lock and Dam 1 for Swallow-tailed Kite netted me a picture of a Chimney Swift but no Kites.



What an awesome day!

This morning before work I took a short walk at Wrightsville and picked up a couple year effort pictures.


Black Skimmers


I love picking through sandbar flocks.  This one had more of the usual but then I saw one tern on the right side of frame that was slightly darker bodied.  Common Tern!


Here he is on right side of frame in front of the Royal Terns.  Darker body, darker primary feathers and bill more slender with dark restricted closer to end and a more red color.  The others are Forster's.



Nice to see breeding plumaged Bonaparte's Gulls.


Forster's Tern

Great times!!! I can't wait for the rest of April.

No comments:

Post a Comment