Saturday, January 16, 2016

The Hunt Continues (13-14Jan2016)

I have been trying to bird Wrightsville Beach every morning for 30-40 minutes after I drop the kids off at school figuring eventually I will get my photo op with a Pacific Loon.  No luck in that department yet, but plenty of other birds to mess around with.


Boat-tailed Grackle was in his usual good humor.


There was about 100-200 Common Loons at close range Wednesday.


Sanderlings not moving is something unusual.



Semi-palmated Plover


There has been a large group of Piping Plover consistently on the South end of WB lately.



Red-breasted Mergansers - The monster on the right totally photobombed the handsome guy to the left.


RB Mergs should be really cool looking, but there is something that just keeps them back into the not spectacular range.  I just can't put my finger on it.



Bonaparte's Gulls are one of the nicer gulls in appearance and behavior.


Palm Warbler


At CB Lake on Wednesday evening I found a Pintail and this beauty of a Redhead that was not afraid.  The Pintail unfortunately flew off.




Mallard


Female BT Grackles are less pissed off looking than their male counterparts.


You don't like me? Well shove it!


Killdeer are great looking but annoying.  They always warn other close by birds with their annoying calls when I am trying to get closer for a pic.


White Ibis look good when you can get a nice blue background to offset the white plumage.



Western Sandpiper - easy ID because this time of year you would be hard pressed to find a Semi-palmated SP.


I combed through a large flock of gulls to find this Franklin's candidate but in the end I decided it was a Laughing because the bill was too large.

Hopefully this weekend will produce something unique.

1 comment:

  1. You always make finding and IDing shorebirds look so easy. Every time I go hunting for shorebirds all I can find are Willets, Sanderlings and Dunlin(s?)...Piping Plovers and Western Sandpipers would be lifers for me!

    ReplyDelete