Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Steady Progress (24-26Jan2016)

Over the past week and even past couple days I have made steady progress towards another photographic year even if the pictures are substandard.  I just love getting out and birding.  A couple of these photos are actually from last week and I somehow missed posting them.


Ruby-crowned Kinglet - the other cute East Coast bird.  Found at Wade Park.


Red Knots and a Sanderling - the Coquina Rocks at Ft. Fisher.


Golden-crowned Kinglets are not easy to photograph and usually are found higher up than RC Kinglets.  This was at the Holly Shelter Marina.


Yellow-rumped Warbler - Holly Shelter.


I combed through hundreds of Tree Swallows in the duck impoundments to see if I could find a Cave Swallow but they were all Trees.


I am pathetic with bird songs and calls, but I think I have Gray Catbird down now.


Red-headed Woodpecker - Holly Shelter.


Another Blue-headed Vireo - I have been seeing them everywhere lately.


I consider myself a Larophile or someone that enjoys gulls.  This was an immature or first winter Ring-billed Gull at Johnny Mercer's Pier.  Gulls have so much variation that even if you become an expert birder, gulls will always challenge you.  Not only do they have 1st, 2nd and 3rd year plumages, but they also hybridize extensively.


The ocean was on fire one of the mornings.  I could really enjoy watching the sun rise every day.


Grumpy Great-blue Heron


Early morning Mourning Dove


The South end of Wrightsville Beach has been hosting a ton of gulls in the mornings.  However so far its the same old cast.


I have been diligently looking for Herring Gulls in adult plumage with dark irises and darker pink legs which would lead me to look further for a Thayer's.  I have also been checking all the Ring-billed Gulls for one with a clean yellow bill for a possible Mew Gull.  No luck yet.


Dunlin


Hooded Merganser at Airlie Gardens


Black-crowned Night Heron


Mute Swan


Canada Goose



American Wigeon

This weekend, the possibility for a good chase has presented itself.   Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. some great photos and the black-crowned night heron in the spanish moss is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. some great photos and the black-crowned night heron in the spanish moss is stunning!

    ReplyDelete